Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Fresh Cherry Pie

Okay, so this was the first time I have ever made a Fresh Cherry Pie, and also the first time I have ever tried a lattice top crust, so the pie may not exactly be pretty, but it sure was good!
Here is the recipe I used:
1 batch of double crust pie dough (use your favorite recipe, or even pre-made)
4 cups fresh cherries, pitted
*Hint: I do not have a cherry pitter, but I opened up a paper clip and used one of the bent ends to pop the pit out the top of the cherry. You can also try poking them out with a straw*
1 cup sugar
4 Tbsp. Minute Tapioca (I used this, and it helps to thicken the filling, however, next time I might just try some flour or cornstarch)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. butter

Directions:
Mix all ingredients except butter, and let rest for 15 min. Pour in pie pan lined with bottom crust. Cut up butter into small cubes and place around top of filling. Cover filling with top crust. *Optional: Brush top crust with egg wash (mixture of 1 egg and milk), and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
Bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden. *Tip: I like to cut a hole out of the middle of a piece of foil and cover the pie with it so the edges are covered, and the middle is exposed. I will take the foil off for the last 15 minutes or so. This helps keep the edges from getting too brown or burned, while the middle cooks.

No comments: