Thursday, September 10, 2009

Zucchini Bread

It's that time of year - what do we do with all of this zucchini? I know a lot of people make zucchini bread, but I tried to make this recipe more "healthy" and I really like the result, and also knowing it is a little better for me than your traditional quick bread. So, enjoy!



Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups white flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
4 tbsp. Flax seed meal
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
3 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
2 cups white sugar(or Splenda Baking equivalent - just as good!)
3 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegatable oil
1/2 cup applesauce
4 cups grated zucchini
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional - I don't usually use)
1 cup chocolate chips (optional - I always use! - did I mention this recipe was supposed to be healthy?)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Sift together flour, salt, soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and sugar.
3. Beat together eggs, vanilla, oil and applesauce. Add with zucchini to dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in nuts and/or chocolate chips if desired. Pour into 2 greased loaf pans or 1 greased bundt cake pan (I like the bundt pan personally).
4. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

1 comment:

Elisabeth Meyer said...

I like that you're making it more healthy, but did you find the crumb a bit dry?